- Long, thick, semi-gelatinous.
- Low protective membranes with large triangular trabeculae.
- Suckers on arms I-III large, up to 3.8% of ML (arm III).
- Each stalk base surrounded by two low, rounded tubercles.
- Arm IV suckers small, 1/4 to 1/5th diameter of other arm suckers.
- Large suckers of arms I-III with 12-16 tall, blunt teeth on distal side; proximal end smooth (drawing on near right).
- Suckers of arms IV with 4-6 similar but lower and more widely spaced teeth on distal margin (drawing on far right).
- Locking apparatus present along dorsal margin of manus (suckers in straight line) and well onto stalk (suckers in oblique pairs).
- Locking apparatus with about 25 suckers, each with low, rounded teeth along perimeter.
- Proximal portion of manus with several hundred small suckers (ca 0.15 mm diam.); suckers in about 25 rows, initially oblique becoming transverse; approximately 15-20 suckers per row. Length of this region 40% of club length.
- Proximal manal suckers with triangular teeth distally on inner ring and large teeth on distal portion of outer ring (inner margin) (drawing on far right).
- Distal manus with 2 greatly enlarged suckers, approx. 1/3 of club length in diameter.
- Enlarged suckers with ca. 45 sharp, conical teeth of similar height, each separated about one tooth width from its neighbor (drawing on near right).
- Dactylus and smaller distal manal suckers with about 30 long sharp teeth all around their perimeter.
- 13 suckers in terminal pad.
- Occipital folds absent.
- Mantle drawn out into a thin, soft tail without solid support (possible artifact).
- Length about 60% of ML, long and narrow.
- Without anterior lobes,
- Attach to dorsolateral sides of mantle.
- Do not join together posteriorly.
- Free rhachis short.
- Primary conus present
- Measurements (holotype) in mm
- ML, 48.5 (without tail)
- Fin length, 29.
- Width of single fin, 6.
- Arms I - 35; arms II - 45; arms III - 45; arms IV - 50.
- Club length, 18.
- Length of locking apparatus, 21
- Diameter of largest suckers: Arm I - 1.6, arm II - 1.8, arm III - 1.9, arm IV - 0.4.
- Diameter of largest club sucker: Proximal manus - 0.15, distal manus - 6.5, dactylus - 0.9-1.0.
Nototeuthis dimegacotyle Description ContinuedRichard E. Young and Michael Vecchione
Nesis, K.N., and I.V. Nikitina. 1986. New Genus and Species of Squid of the Family Neoteuthidae (Cephalopoda, Oegopsida) from the South-eastern Part of the Pacific Ocean. Zoologichesky Zhurnal, 65(2):290-294.
Nesis, K. N. and I. V. Nikitina. 1992. New records of oceanic squids Walvisteuthis virilis Nesis et Nikitina, 1986 and Nototeuthis dimegacotyle Nesis et Nikitina, 1986 (Cephalopoda, Oegopsida) from the South Atlantic and the South Pacific. Ruthenica, 2: 55-58.
Page copyright © 2003 and
Page: Tree of Life Nototeuthis dimegacotyle Description Continued Authored by Richard E. Young and Michael Vecchione. The TEXT of this page is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial License - Version 3.0. Note that images and other media featured on this page are each governed by their own license, and they may or may not be available for reuse. Click on an image or a media link to access the media data window, which provides the relevant licensing information. For the general terms and conditions of ToL material reuse and redistribution, please see the Tree of Life Copyright Policies.